Recommended ReadingBooks and articles to further your journey
When Kids Rule the School
The Power and Promise of Democratic Education
by Circle School co-founder and staff member
How self-directed democratic schooling builds fulfilling lives and leads the way to civilized society
When Kids Rule the School is an introduction and guide to self-directed democratic schooling, where kids practice life in a self-governed society: empowered as voters, bound by laws, challenged by choice, supported by community, and driven by nature. Through heartwarming stories and hard-headed details, this book walks you through the ideas and the day-to-day reality of democratic schooling. For parents, educators, policymakers, Integral theorists, and concerned citizens, learn how democratic schooling builds fulfilling lives and leads the way to civil society, including:
- Democratic schooling philosophy, theory, and practice
- How democratic schools overcome the standard school limitations of coercive curriculum and one-size-fits-all
- School governance by students and staff together
- Student self-direction and day-to-day life
- The strong connection between play and critical thinking
- Why democratic schooling is morally right and practically effective
- Model bylaws and guidance for starting a democratic school.
When Kids Rule the School will immerse you, heart and mind, in a promising new approach to education, and stretch your thinking about what school can be.
Available for purchase in the school office, or from your favorite bookseller.