NEW JOB OPENINGS IN SELF-DIRECTED DEMOCRATIC SCHOOLING
04-07-2020 NOTE: The staff search process has been suspended during the COVID-19 school closure through June 5, 2020.
The Circle School is now accepting applications for two new full-time positions to begin June 2020 (Office/Program Staff) and September 2020 or sooner (Program Staff). Students and staff together run the school’s business and govern the daily program. The school seeks skill sets in several areas: office management, bookkeeping, administration, interpersonal communications, public communications, technology and media, being with children, being with teens, group and organizational dynamics. A successful staff member finds and fills a variety of roles that fit their skill sets and interests, and contribute to effective business and thriving community. Sounds like you?
CLICK HERE for a PDF with more information about both positions
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, MARCH 27, 2020. APPLICATIONS CLOSED
The Circle School is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in employment, recruitment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
General Info about Staffing at The Circle School
Staff members are dependable stewards of the school; facilitate student access to resources; exemplify mature practice of personal fulfillment and societal engagement; and anchor school culture to values of interpersonal respect and trust in the natural impulse toward personal growth.
Staff members are NOT expected to create activities for students to pursue and do not have the authority to unilaterally establish or enforce rules. Being a successful staff person at The Circle School requires an ability to honor the choices of others even when those choices are not those you would make, and an ability to trust in the school’s peer-based judicial system to adequately resolve rule infractions. Staff people at The Circle School ARE available as facilitators and friends as students pursue their own interests.
The Circle School’s sub rate is $96/day in the 2020-21 school year.
Full-time starting positions are salaried. Entry level staff are compensated in the range of $31,162 to $38,085 (2020-21 school year) plus summer pay if applicable. Most work hours will fall within the school’s normal hours of operation (8am-4pm), but a willingness to work occasional additional hours on an as-needed basis for individual projects, staff and committee meetings, public relations and community events, and more, is required.
Healthcare insurance is paid by the school, with family coverage available mostly at employee expense (assisted with a school-paid allowance for minor dependents). Short-term and long-term disability insurances are paid by payroll deduction (approximately $28 per month). The school calendar provides about 24 to 30 weekdays off during the school year. In addition, 15 days of Urgent Leave is provided (five days at full pay and ten days at reduced pay). Employees’ children may qualify for extra financial aid, depending on household income.
- Belief in the natural impulse of children (and adults!) to strive for personal growth; commitment to one’s own personal growth
- Must be extremely reliable, punctual, and safety-conscious
- Possess high levels of professionalism, personal maturity, and authenticity
- Excellent communication and literacy skills, including abilities to express thoughts in writing, tailor communication levels for different age groups and developmental levels, and interact effectively with children and adults from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Be an interested, interesting, engaged, and passionate person
- Strong self-management skills, including high levels of initiative and ability to authentically and effectively prioritize, including the ability to decline requests from children when appropriate
- High level of computer literacy, including fluency with word processing, email, and more
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student and family data, as well as to keep a constant eye out for the protection of student privacy in less formal ways
- Ability to pass required background checks
- General ability to physically participate in the school’s program, including the ability to navigate steep outdoor terrain
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in any field (to facilitate acquisition of teaching certificates if not already possessed), AND current possession of one or more Pennsylvania Private Academic teaching certificates, or a willingness and ability to attain one (which could require coursework).
NOTE: Because hiring decisions at The Circle School are made democratically by students and staff together, your employment application and all materials and information you submit may be circulated widely in the school community.