ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: August 15, 2023
>>> Job Opening <<<
Program Staff. See below for more information.
Fulfilling Work. Summers off.
The Circle School employs stellar human beings
to work in community with children and teens,
anchoring the school’s culture to values of respect, equality, and growth
(and maybe doing some administrative work, too).
The Circle School seeks diversity in our staff
in order to better represent the demographics of the greater Harrisburg area and our student body.
BIPOC candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
For more information about The Circle School generally, check out the introduction here and consider requesting a free information packet.
Wondering about the job itself?
Every day is different. We can’t tell you what you’ll spend your time doing.
What we can tell you is that you will be challenged intellectually, socially, and emotionally — and probably physically and spiritually as well.
You will work to be a dependable steward of the school. To facilitate student access to resources. To exemplify mature practice of personal fulfillment and societal engagement. And to anchor school culture to values of interpersonal respect and trust in the natural impulse toward personal growth.
What does that look like?
It’s up to you.
Staff members are NOT expected to create activities for students to pursue and do not have the authority to unilaterally establish or enforce rules. Being a successful staff person at The Circle School requires an ability to honor the choices of others, and an ability to trust in the school’s peer-based judicial system to adequately resolve rule infractions.
Staff people at The Circle School are available as facilitators and friends as students pursue their own interests.
What do we mean “stellar”?
We’re looking for folks who….
- believe in the natural impulse of children (and adults!) to strive for personal growth
- have a commitment to their own personal growth
- are extremely reliable, punctual, and safety-conscious
- possess high levels of personal maturity and authenticity
- have excellent communication skills
- are interested, interesting, engaged, and passionate
- have strong self-management skills
- have good (or great!) computer skills
- are able to maintain confidentiality and respect privacy
- can pass required background checks
- can physically participate in the school’s program
The Fine Print
- Full-time salaried positions assume 45 hours per week through the school year (late August thru mid-June)
- Typical hours are Monday thru Friday, 8am-4pm, plus after hours staff meetings and community events
- Entry level school year pay range (2023-24) is $35,000-$43,000 (roughly equivalent to $24-$30/hour)
- Additional summer hours and corresponding pay available for administrative and community-building work
- Flexible healthcare insurance arrangement (HRA), with Wellness Benefit and partial allowance for dependents.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurances paid by payroll deduction (approximately $28/month)
- School year calendar provides 24 to 30 weekdays off during the school year
- Additional 15 days of Urgent Leave provided (five days at full pay and ten days at reduced pay)
- Enhanced financial aid benefit for children of staff, depending on total household income